Monday, May 23, 2011

God's Gifts - More Then We Ask For

I’ve been having an emotional up-and-down roller coaster lately. It isn’t anything really big – just little things discouraging me or lifting me up. Last Friday was a great encouragement to me in a personal matter and I thrived on it all weekend. 

On Saturday, my sister asked if I’d like to do something. I immediately answered, “Go shopping.” We just laughed. She hates shopping and neither of us had the extra money to just shop for the fun of it. The first thing that popped into my head was a trip to Bath and Body Works. I haven’t shopped there in years but I love many of their fragrances. For the rest of the weekend, it stayed there in the back of my mind. Not in a bad way, just a wistful thought of something I’d like to do.
The weekend ended as I turned the key to enter school Monday. My mind on all the day held, I forgot about my wishful thinking. Near the end of the day, my sister (who is also the school’s music teacher) stopped by my classroom with a bright pink striped bag. It was from my Secret Pal. The staff exchanges information at the beginning of the year and sends each other small gifts each month. Sometimes it’s a bit of chocolate, a plant, a gift card, a note of encouragement. I could hardly wait to see what was in the bag. I confess, I had to peek while the class worked on an assignment. I almost cried when I saw the words “Bath and Body Works” on one of the bottles.

After class, I opened the bag and discovered hand soap, shower gel, body lotion, and a candle all from Bath and Body Works. How could she have known what I was thinking about all weekend? I don’t think I listed Bath and Body Works as one of my favorite stores. I can’t remember talking about it with anyone, not even my sisters. God knew. He knew before I thought about it and gave my Secret Pal the idea. 

I’m enjoying the scent of the lotion as I type this. Even more, I hold dear the knowledge that our loving Father desires to bless us in unexpected ways.

 Has God given you something special and unexpected lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment